cuttingtherope

Tomorrow morning, I’m telling the head of our firm that I’m leaving.  I skipped work yesterday to meet with two bankers, a corporate attorney (since I don’t remember the difference in an LLC and a PC), and a graphic design/web designer.  Oh yeah, and I had an optometry appointment (while I still have good health insurance).  I was so excited afterward that I hardly slept last night, and then the person I needed to meet with wasn’t even there today.  I was hoping he’d whisper something in my ear like, “Gutsiest move I ever saw, Mav.”  But instead, I got an empty office, meaning tomorrow will be “Muskrat to burn bridges.  Take 2.”

I’ve debated starting a new blog in which I write about the experience of giving up a guaranteed income, security, safety, insurance, etc. to stop defending insurance companies and begin suing them on behalf of injured individuals–a megaphone for my calls of “Up yours, The Man!”  But, I like this little website and don’t particularly want to start all over, so I’m not going to.  I’ll just write about what’s going on in my professional life like I write about what’s going on in my familial life or like I write about something I did or said 15 years ago.  I hope it’ll be inspirational or educational to someone who googles “dumbasses who voluntarily leave great jobs during a recession.”

Or maybe, it’ll be the voice of Charlotte Blackwood, who once told a class after a proposed Split S maneuver, “But, I think we’ve shown it as an example of what not to do.  Now this is a perfect example of a textbook maneuver…”

I’m having lunch with a CPA tomorrow and am talking to a bookkeeper tomorrow evening.  I’ve already reserved office space in midtown.  On Peachtree Street and everything.  Like a real grownup.

Friday, I hope to meet with some marketing folks about what I think is the most brazen, fucked up unique advertising strategy I’ve ever seen an attorney employ:  wit.  If they tell me I’m crazy, I’ll keep it exclusively professional, but that’s not what I want to do.  More on that later.

In any event, wish me luck.  Or, in lieu of same, buy some ad space or something.

maverick

39 responses to “standing on a suspended bridge, holding a sword above the rope that keeps us suspended”

1. Gutsiest move I ever read about. Bust it up!

2. Live the dream. Tell those corporate bastards to f themselves right in their stupid cocoa bumpers.

Catherinette Singleton’s last blog post..It’s Your Move

3. avatgardener says:

muskrat makes manly move. mistake? maybe. most-likely-not.
    much-luck.

4. avatgardener says:

saw it coming – – you have been hinting in your twitters the last two weeks.
    I am rootin’ for you to be successful. Does PB gots a good job? I recall something about her learning archeology or another other of those -ology thingies when you rescued her from her college in PA and married her.
    see someone has been paying attention, taking notes, drawing pictures. not just another pretty face with fast fingers!!

5. Avitable says:

There’s nothing simultaneously more freeing and overwhelming than hanging out your shingle. Good luck!

Avitable’s last blog post..Lazy fuckers and awesome bosses

6. Sassy says:

Hells yeah to hanging out your shingle!!! Go for it man! And wit? GREAT marketing strategy. Based on yours, I’d retain you and I don’t even live there.

Sassy’s last blog post..YouTube (Vimeo?) RoundUp SE: Sopranos, Uncensored

7. Candice says:

May the force be with you!

Candice’s last blog post..I have a secret

8. A Free Man says:

You’ve either got balls of steel to make a leap like this in these kind of economic times. Wishing you the best of luck.

A Free Man’s last blog post..Happy Big 200, Charlie D.

9. SciFi Dad says:

This might just turn you from lawyer into human. Good luck.

SciFi Dad’s last blog post..The Rest Of The Answers

10. headbang8 says:

If there is a recession-proof profession, lawyering is it. You’ll be brill.

Wit as a marketing strategy? Old hat. Wit as a courtroom strategy? Dynamite.

Mockery of your opponent’s point of view, is just about the most powerful weapon you can wield against him.

That’s why the truly evil, fear it. Danish cartoons, anyone?

headbang8’s last blog post..A Highly Successful Plane Crash

11. Awesome! This move just secured you a spot on new year’s list of bloggy crushes. Good luck.

prefers her fantasy life’s last blog post..From the H-Files (The Hippie Files)–My First Love

12. Jennifer says:

Good Luck! I’d like to hear about the advertising strategy.

13. Sherri says:

Bold move!
    Does this mean you’ll be chasing ambulances?

14. jim bob says:

I see some real genius in your litigating, Muskrat, but I can’t say that in there. I was afraid that everyone in the tax trailer would see right through me, and I just don’t want anyone to know that I’ve fallen for you.

15. Jeff says:

Yes… good luck indeed!

I’m extremely envious of your ability to be able to do this. I would give anything to be able to switch to a different job right now but I don’t have anything lined up and I can’t afford to be unemployed.

I’m looking forward to reading all about it.

Jeff’s last blog post..Skate Plaza Stimulation

16. Countessa says:

Go, Litigious Rodent!!! Being your own boss should kick all kinds of ass. Kudos for PrettyBride, too, because I’m sure she’s the first link in your support system.

17. SSG says:

way.to.go.
    that totally rocks. good luck!

and @AFM- either.. or?

SSG’s last blog post..MrC’s music melt down part 2: Mix Tape

18. SSG says:

just read your twitter, that rules. excellent on bonus too, now you can have mega advert space. And if you’re advertising by wit will you only get clever clients? PS Indiana Jones is well fit.

19. Nooter says:

a bridge is never truly burned until you punch your boss in the nose. let us know how that goes, ok?

Nooter’s last blog post..Nooter’s Nifty Nine for February

20. Work is for suckers.

Grant Miller, Esq.’s last blog post..Dynasty in the Making?

21. Mama Dawg says:

Good Luck. You got some big balls mister. Truly you do.

Mama Dawg’s last blog post..The Other Light of My Life Finale

22. Ora says:

Wow, best of luck! I don’t even know you but I’m proud of you, if that makes any sense.

Ora’s last blog post..Airports, Security, and Whatever Turns You On

23. Hell yeah! Stick it to the man! Congratulations, I think you made the right decision. You should see if you can add transportation into the mix so you can get stimulus money for your business. Tell them you’ll bike to work and recycle.

Swedish Skier’s last blog post..Wednesdays’ Weirdos: Seahorse

24. Maigh says:

HOLY CRAP IN A COOKIE JAR! I hope I get injured soon so I can help fund your childrens college education. Wait. No. But I will refer any persons I see slip and fall in Publix to you, or anyone I see drink a cup of too hot McDonalds coffee…or whatever.

Happy happy thoughts to you and man oh man thank you. Seriously inspiring. Seriously. No joke. I mean it. Okay but really I do…I wish I was a man right now just so I could envy your balls.

Maigh’s last blog post..What a difference one person can make

25. muskrat says:

Deb, Thanks! And I know you read a lot, too.

Catherinette, I just hope “the dream” isn’t living at Mother Theresa’s standard of living.

AvatG, Thanks for your paying attention! She had to stop her archeology PhD, actually, and does run a business from our home, but she doesn’t pay herself much. That’s going to have to stop in a couple months.

Avitable, Thanks! I feel quite free right now. Soon, I’m sure I’ll feel quite scared.

Sassy, Thanks–I hope others agree.

Candice, The Force, the Lord, the hobbits. I hope they’re all “with” me.

FreeMan, Not sure about the other half of your “either,” but I think I have that.

SciFiDad, Thanks. I’ll start singing about it if I become “only human. a flesh. a blood. a man.”

Headbang8, Those are some great tips…thanks!

PrefersFantasy, Yee-haw! I want 2009 to be the Year of the Muskrat, just like 2008.

Jennifer, I’ll write more about it later. Fo’ sho’.

Sherri, Yes. Is your dogger free for commercials?

JimBob, LMAO. Your use of Top Gun quotes is too aggressive.

Jeff, Thanks-that means a lot! You can totally find a lawschool up in the tundra, I’m sure. It’s never too late!

Countessa, Thanks! Wait….I’m supposed to have a support system?

SSG, Thanks…I was surprised it went so well, but very pleased.

Figurehead, I feel lighter in my loafers already.

Nooter, Maybe you should stick to peeing on fire hydrants.

GrantMiller, It is. But, I need it, so I’d rather do it for me. You know, like how Ivan Drago fights.

MamaDawg, I might need some new underpants.

Ora, It does make sense. I don’t know Maggie Dammit but felt the same way when she got her writing loft.

SwedishSkier, Can I hire you as a consultant? Brilliant!

Maigh, Please, get injured! Like, right now!

26. Muskrat: I had no idea, really, but I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor and don’t blame you at all for leaving. It sounds like a good move to me, especially if your heart wasn’t in the other job. I look forward to wherever you and your blogging go…really (not creepy stalker here or anything :).

unfinished rambler’s last blog post..Don’t go and lay your hand on this Pittsburgh Steeler fan

27. Harlin says:

You will do well. You have a unique personality that is magnetic and a drive that I bet most JDs don’t have. I know you already have a plan b, so I’m not worried a bit! Go get’em commander!

28. NukeDad says:

Well, kick the tires and light the fires!

Good luck, Muskrat! I’m sure you’ll do fine-get that pizza delivery boy with the hospital route in your pocket right away!

On your last day: Find the shortest person in your firm and make them say: (with a little asian twang) “Hang on Lady! We going for a ride!”

NukeDad’s last blog post..Going Off

29. […] standing on a suspended bridge, holding a sword above the rope that keeps us suspended […]

30. Salaam says:

I’m in my first year at law school and would never ever sell my soul to a big corporate gig. Welcome back to the fresh air.

Salaam’s last blog post..Hope

31. […] I’d been trying to meet for months, and I figured I could write it off, now that I’m self-employed, if I attended an SEO […]

32. […] felt a twinge of guilt since this post about quitting my job on Feb 11, because I said I’d blog about my journey, and I haven’t.  In fact, […]

33. […] hour that her chemo was going well and that her solo venture was succeeding.  I announced my own plans to go solo and looked forward to having her as a source of advice and encouragement as I pursued my own dreams […]

34. […] One week later: Me:  Dan says the economy’s got revenues slowed.  I’ve done everything right.  I’ve busted my ass.  I’ve won every trial I had for these people.  I’ve billed 2100+ hours a year.  But raises aren’t even going to beat inflation this year. Screw it.  I’m going to wait til I’m vested in the 401k in April, get my bonus, and then leave.  I really think I’m going to.  I don’t want to turn 40 and be where I am today.  Hell, I don’t want to turn 35 and be where I am today. PB:  I think that’s great. Me:  Yeah.  Now to work up the courage to actually tell Dan. […]

35. […] was submitted trips to the annual BlogHer conference as a tax deduction.  But on April 6, 2009, I started my own firm and used blogging as a large part of my marketing, which meant attending blogging conferences was, […]

36. […] starting this self-employment racket, I’ve met at different times with a respected business consultant to solos who need […]

37. […] exponentially so.  I can’t know for certain what my life would look like right now had I not quit that world in 2009, but I’m absolutely positive I wouldn’t have as good of a […]