explanations

Me:  Did y’all talk about anything that happened in the news today at school?
Maddie:  No, we never talk about stories from the news at my school.
Me:  You didn’t hear about a guy named Osama bin Laden?
Maddie:  No.  I don’t know who…I don’t know that person.
Me:  Well, he’s bad, but he was captured, so now he can’t be bad any more.
Maddie:  Is he dead?
Me:  Yes.
Maddie: Why did they make him dead?
Me:  Because our country was upset that he led a bunch of people to attack–hurt–us nearly 10 years ago.
Maddie:  So now that he’s dead, he can’t hurt anyone, right?
Me:  Yes.
Maddie:  Oh.
Me:  Do you remember when I went away for several months, just before you turned 2?
Maddie:  When I was a baby?
Me:  Yes.
Maddie:  I think I do.
Me:  You were at the airport when I got back.  Mommy was there, and your big sister, and my parents.  I was the first person off my plane…a good 2 minutes ahead of anyone else getting off, because I was so eager to see you and your mommy again.  The reason I had to go far, far away is because of what that bad man did 10 years ago.
Maddie:  Were you there to kill people too?
Me:  No.  I worked with a hospital.
Maddie:  What did you do at the hospital?
Me:  Well, when people would get sick or hurt, the 38 doctors, nurses, and medical technicians who helped the hurt and sick people reported to me.
Maddie:  So, you helped people get better?
Me:  Indirectly.
Maddie:  Daddy, are you going to have to go back there again?
Me:  For the first time in 10 years, I don’t think I will have to go back there.
Maddie:  That’s good.  Do you think Mommy will make us pancakes tonight?

30 responses to “explanations”

1. Karianna says:

Mmm, pancakes. Freedom Flapjacks!
    Karianna´s last blog post ..Days- Years- and Decades- Today

@karianna, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

2. IzzyMom says:

Love this.
    IzzyMom´s last blog post ..S-E-X

@izzymom, Thanks!

3. Amy says:

God bless you. And pancakes.

@amy, Indeed!

4. LindaSalem says:

Unfortunately, I wish I was as sanguine about your not having to go back or anybody having to go back. We’ve cut off one head and hopefully it was the most important head on the Al Queda. We don’t seem to be fighting them anymore. Technically, he’s dead and he’s the reason we went to Afghanistan so we should be done. I just wish it felt done.

Does Pretty Bride do Belgian Waffles? I’m a little bummed here.

@LindaSalem, It ain’t done, but I do think Obama will use this as a springboard into announcing withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan like he did Iraq a few years ago.

5. Miss Britt says:

“Me: For the first time in 10 years, I don’t think I will have to go back there.”

xo
    Miss Britt´s last blog post ..How to Make a Budget Even if You Hate Making Budgets

@Britt, Let’s hope.

6. Grant says:

I’m glad someone in your family has perspective. So, let’s hear more about the pancakes. Was there boysenberry syrup?
    Grant´s last blog post ..Boob Tea

@Grant, I like maple, actually. And yes, her perspective is always superior to mine.

7. Sybil Law says:

Well? Did she make the pancakes?!!

(I hope you don’t have to go back, too.)

@SL, She didn’t! Sadly.

Pretty Bride Reply:

Please. You would never consume that many carbs during the week, anyway. Let’s not pretend.

Avitable Reply:

He wouldn’t? He sure did during that lunch at Flip Burger with me!
    Avitable´s last blog post ..Where I’ve been aka being one whoring muthafucka

8. jade says:

Thank you Muskrat and the Mrs! From me, hubby, and my 3 little kids!
    jade´s last blog post ..F@!ing Perfect

@jade, Thanks. But no extra helpings, ok?

9. Jessica says:

I do hope you get to stay on US soil!

And the innocence of children…it amazes me every time.

@jessica, Yes…me too!

10. Whit says:

I hope you’re right, my friend. You’ve seen enough of deserts.
    Whit´s last blog post ..An Introduction to Terror

@whit, Except for Vegas. I could see some more of that one.

11. Stacey says:

I know some gentlemen over in Afghanistan right now. I’m sure they’d like to come home. And eat pancakes.
    Stacey´s last blog post ..If You Give a Dog a Haircut

@Stacey, Certainly!

12. Avitable says:

I like that there are people in the world today who won’t really know who he is and won’t have that cloud hanging over them, either.
    Avitable´s last blog post ..Where I’ve been aka being one whoring muthafucka

@avitable, Me too. Like little kids who are more interested in breakfast foods.

13. Seattledad says:

Thankfully, one will be my son. Must be a good feeling not to have to go back.

@seattledad, I hope your son stays here from now on!

14. Hettie Wofford says:

Since Osama is gone, it’s my hope that the violent acts of terrorism shall never return.

@HW, I think that’s naive.