My friends. I’m here today, not as a wrinkly Senator, but as your humble servant, graciously accepting another award, passed along by an anarchist with the word “Punk” in his title. Nobility? Hardly. Rabble-rouser? Certainly.
Punk Rock Dad sent it. Here’s the version of the award as it was passed to PRD:
And here’s how he defaced it like an abandoned underpass leading to Section Eight housing:
He sent me this simple email: “Hey if you get a sec please stop by and pick up your award on my site. Do it quick; that shit is cluttering my living room.” Classic.
I don’t particularly like the rules we’re supposed to share when getting awards, so I’ll let y’all check them out here instead of posting them. I’m supposed to name 5 addictions. I’m not sure I have 5 addictions, but I’ll try:
1) My blackberry. I love it. I Twitter or update my Facebook status while driving. In fact, it’s when I’m most prolific. I fully expect this to be referenced in my obituary one day.
2) Maker’s Mark bourbon. I’d be downing it on the rocks right now if we weren’t out. I love it. To discouraging levels.
3) The Blogosphere. I’ve never had a hobby, pastime, or extra-curricular activity I’ve enjoyed more than I have blogging the past 7 months. Sure, I’ve kept journals since I was 10. And when I discovered email in undergrad, and my friend Jeremy printed my daily messages to him at the end of each semester, bound the pages, put a cover sheet on them, and handed them to me at Christmas or summer break, that was cool. But the immediate gratification, instantaneous dissemination, and audience interaction blogging allows has me absolutely addicted. I probably lose 10 hours of sleep per week exclusively to reading and writing blog posts.
4) You. It’s the chaps. I just can’t quit a man who wears chaps, be them for that buckin’ bronco you keep tied up in your bedroom or that steel animal you keep corralled in the garage. You know who you are. And we both know we can’t quit one another.
5) Winning. I was going to stop at 3, but I threw in 4 to amuse myself and then asked Pretty Bride if I had any addictions, and she said this one right away (followed by Maker’s and blogging). I’m competitive; I hate losing; and once I start a project, I have an impossible time stopping it before it’s seen through to completion (again, Pretty Bride’s words, but I don’t disagree). This has led to an occasional label: “asshole.” But not too often.
And now for the passing on. I also don’t like the “you gotta pick ___ bloggers to whom to pass this” part of awards, so I’ll pick one: A Free Man. I found him through Maggie’s blog and have, since then, enjoyed the photography, stories from his younger days, rants about college football, anecdotes about parenting, and references to a life as an expat that can’t be found in one place anywhere else in the blogosphere (to my knowledge).
So, there you have it! Go back to your bars, your temples, and your massage parlours already.
You know, I usually kind of see these things and think “Uh, huh. Thanks.” and move on. But I’m really impressed with this one – a custom award! Thanks a load, Father. Considering the lineage and being the sole recipient – properly honored.
A Free Man’s last blog post..Let’s go, drive ’til the morning comes
Pingback: Deadlines suck… | A Free Man
You just out-fabuloused [hey, new word!] PRD because you were able to post this without using the word FABULOUS.
I think it’s funny how everyone feels the same way about these awards, yet they still exist. Conspiracy to turn snarky bloggers into fabulous mushballs? Perhaps, perhaps.
Sherri’s last blog post..Fabooooo!
*screaming wildlly with the rest of the crowd.. passes out as Father Muskrat exits the stage and she’s just close enough to touch his swooshing robes..*
Awesome post dude. Can’t wait to see what you do with your Manward.
ChurchPunkMom’s last blog post..It’s a Major Award!!!
I love PRD’s “simple email”. The blogosphere… don’t we all suffer/benefit from that addiction a bit? This is one big group therapy session. Who’s playin’ Dr. Drew?
I’ll check out “A Free Man”…
Csquaredplus3’s last blog post..Thanks, Punk Rock Dad.
This post is Punk Rock Dad approved.
Punk Rock Dad’s last blog post..A Hungover Award
Congrats on the award! I might steal the idea but put some black fishnets instead of jeans on the legs.
prefers her fantasy life’s last blog post..Meg’s Meandering Monday
Love your award!! I’m a little jealous!
Kirsten’s last blog post..All Work and No Play…
FreeMan, You’re welcome. Posts that follow the awards’ rules are for pussies.
Sherri, I didn’t think I could “out” anything PRD. Except come up with creative tax deductions, perhaps. I’m damned great at that.
ChurchPunkMom, I’m so pumped that you caught my swooshing robes. Were you healed? Maybe a little bit?
C2+3, Dr Drew is played by Al Gore. Everyone knows that.
PRD, Glad to hear it!
PrefersFL, Black fishnets rock. I wear them way more often than I should.
Kirsten, Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s award. Ditto for maidservants and asses.
I LOVE A FREE MAN. I’m so glad you’ve found him.
Maggie, dammit’s last blog post..The Closet